Sandhurst Town F C v Barton Rovers 12th February 2017

A dismal and dreary day saw an extremely frustrated home side draw 1 -1 with their visitors at Bottom Meadow.

It started well for Barton with clearances needed to be made by Erin and Sue.  However it was an afternoon of “almosts” and some interesting balls played through the middle for Sandhurst forwards were either sent too far or were intercepted by Barton’s defence.  Faye made a good move down the right and crossed into Shellie, however she had to turn 360 degrees to get on target.  Her shot went wide.  Sally intercepted well from a goal kick and passed a cheeky ball through to Shellie who shot wide of the mark.  Sarah and Grace covered well on the counter-attack and Nicola looked the most likely to cause damage throughout the first half.  Faye hit the side netting and when Jess replaced Alicia she took up a ball from Faye who had switched sides and made progress down the right wing.  Shannon cleared well at the back but then there was a complete misunderstanding with Cora in goal where the ball ricocheted off both players and went to the net, giving Barton the advantage, despite Sandhurst having the majority of play.

Further attacks from Sandhurst ensued and Shellie shot well into the goalkeeper’s arms, followed by an attack from Faye, who dodged some players but the ball was put out for the corner.  Nicola stepped up to take a superb corner stretching to the propelling Shellie who nodded it into the net for a fantastic equaliser. 1-1.

There followed two more attempts from Sandhurst landing in the goalkeeper’s arms.  The visitors stepped up the pace before half time requiring excellent clearances by Shannon and Grace although at the other end Shellie, Faye and Nicola were doing their utmost to try and increase the score for Sandhurst:  Shellie hit just past the post, Faye then supplied her with another cross which also went wide and Nicola sent the ball out to Faye who again went wide.  Anna replaced Erin in midfield before the end of the first half.

Barton changed their goalkeeper for the second half and Sandhurst started well when Jess supplied Shellie with a pass which Shellie hit against the bar.  Nicola followed up with another shot at the post.  The game seemed to be marred by many offsides throughout the match which became frustrating at times.  A great pass into Nicola enabled her to shoot but floated just past the post.  Kim replaced Amy and Barton began to put more pressure on the home penalty area.  A lucky ricochet to Cora helped keep them out.  It was end-to-end but the game lacked lustre and the crowd were begging for another goal.  Sandhurst had a couple of corners and Shellie headed down but no joy.  Anna passed into Shellie who hit it just wide and Jess made a good run down the right to supply Shellie who struck the ball hard at the keeper, who pawed it around the post for a corner.  Alicia was brought back on and tackled well.  Barton put the pressure on before the end and some great work from Cora in goal kept the score down.  A good ball sent across from Anna to Jess enabled her to get it across again to Shellie and Shannon who put it in the side net.  Grace gave the tackle of the game towards the end, saving Sandhurst from a late defeat, however Sandhurst did not give up with Nicola making another of her searching runs only to be brought down harshly by the defender.  A free kick led to a clash of heads after which the final whistle blew on a match which could have had so many goals but just wasn’t to be.


Share:Ask!BlinkBits!Blinklist!Blogmarks!BlogRolling!Cannotea!!Digg!Diigo!DZone!Free and Open Source Software NewsFacebook!Fark!Faves!FeedMeLinks!Furl! GodSurfer!Google!linkaGoGo!Live!Ma.gnolia!Maple!Mister-Wong!Mixx!MyLinkVault!MySpace!Netscape!Netvouz!Newsvine!RawSugar!Reddit!ShoutWire!Simpy!Slashdot!Smarking!